We have all heard the beginning of Psalm 23 "The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want." How many of us know the rest of this passage? I honestly can't say I knew anymore. When I first saw the first verse, I said to myself "why is God having me read something I've heard a thousand times?!" Then I continue reading verse 2: "He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters." Then verse 3 is when it hits: "He restores my soul."
It's so simple. But yet it encompasses so much. How often do we hold on to things that get in our way? Let's say, you wake up late because your alarm didn't go off. You don't have time to take that shower you were saving for the morning, instead of taking it at night when you had some spare time. You spilt coffee on your shirt, but didn't have time to change it, you get to your car that is frosted over, and instead of having the time to let it warm up and defrost itself, you do a quick job on scraping the windows so you aren't late to work. You get in the car, and peel out of your drive way, just to realize you're low on gas... So now you have to make the decision to either stop and get gas and be late to work, or chance it and hope you have enough to make it to work?
I think we can all say we have been there! But do we let that lead our attitude the entire day? Do we have less patience with co-workers or family, simply because our morning didn't go smoothly? How quick are we to turn to God and ask Him to restore our soul?
What about for things we have been holding on to for years, or decades? Most commonly, women are accused of having "daddy issues". God can restore your soul. Alcoholic family member that can't seem to let it go, and you can't seem to let them go? God can restore your soul. Give you peace. Been hurt too many times by people you trusted, and now you can't let anyone close? God can restore your soul. There is no situation God can't handle.
God, I just want to take a moment, and lift up those who are going through junk and they may feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I pray that You give them guidance and peace about any decisions You may be laying on their hearts. I pray that they take the time to sit and quiet their souls, and take refuge in You so that You may restore their soul. I pray You steady their heart and show them the path that You have laid out before them, that when they grow weary, that they have an unshakeable faith in You our Savior. And that they get their strength from You and You alone. In your precious name we pray, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment